Skip to content

#StudioStory – January

January 17, 2016

What’s new in the World? These days it is really easy to find out – everything what can be called trendy has been reduced to a hashtag. For e.g. the latest trend in Art world is #sketchjanuary. (Do have a look on Twitter or Instagram, you might find this very inspiring – hundreds of artists and even more subjects, various mediums and unique styles.) I’m not sure I like sketching (although I know I should do this more often), so I’m taking a different path – instead of following the crowd, I’m starting my own hashtag trend – #studiostory.

studiostory01

My dog for #sketchjanuary can be seen in the background…

There’ll be 12 short stories this year. Once a month I will show you the ideas I’m working on at the moment (hopefully this sentence will guarantee I don’t get too lazy and stop working on my art projects…). If you’d like to join me and show what’s going on in your studio, please do, this would make me really happy! Just don’t forget to add the hashtag.

Right… while everyone’s sketching, I am making prints. I must have showed you this technique before. Nothing complicated and you don’t even need a printer’s press!

print1

Step 1

Just draw anything that comes to your mind on a piece of Styrofoam (draw lightly – trace some lines and don’t apply any pressure) and try to figure out what parts of your drawing you’d like to appear black and which should be white. I must admit that’s the tricky bit as you have to think the other way round – if you draw pressing your pen into the foam you’ll get a white in your final print. Practise makes perfect, so the more you do this, the easier it will get.

Anyway… as you can see my inspiration came from a magazine, where I saw hmm… a cornflower? Not the easiest, i.e. quickly recognizable, subject, but I liked it at the time and decided to give it a go.

print2

Step 2

And here’s the second step. Once you know which parts you’d like to appear white or at least a bit lighter colour, grab an ordinary pen and start drawing, this time pressing hard into the foam. Looks a bit messy, so don’t get lost.

print4

Step 3

The third step is to cover your so called matrix in paint. This is when you will get a rough idea what the end result is going to look like (just the other way round once again…). I use special paint for printing, but I think even acrylics would work. Not sure how easy it would be to apply paint evenly using an ordinary brush, so I guess the only special tool you need is a printmaker’s roller.

Roll it, roll it, roll it… (mine squeaks a lot, so everyone at home knows what I’m doing at the time) and you’ll be ready to make your print.

print5

Step 4

I suggest you make several prints and choose the best one, as all of them will come out a bit different – one might be too blurry, another one too dark etc. The secret is to enjoy the process. Simply have fun and I’m sure that sooner or later you’ll come up with something that you’ll love.

The end result - Cornflower, 2016 (Size - standard A5)

The end result – Cornflower, 2016 (Size – standard A5)

As for my cornflower… As I’ve already said before this isn’t an easy recognizable subject, so I can imagine using it as a psychological ink blot test. I bet that not more than 5% of my respondents would say it’s a flower, the rest 95% would simply be more inventive. I don’t mind. I’ve enjoyed the process.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Advertisements
6 Comments leave one →
  1. January 17, 2016 2:18 pm

    I’m afraid my studiostory is as boring as usual. Cut out drywall, attach it to the wall. Repeat. Endlessly. Then lie down with a migraine. 😉

    • January 17, 2016 5:40 pm

      I think it’s your January #studiostory, Pia. You must run out of that drywall sooner or later and then… then it will be a different story! Thanks for telling us anyway, please make sure you take care of yourself as migraines are really nasty things. K. x

      • January 18, 2016 8:23 am

        I’m holding out for February to be a filler n paint story. 😉

  2. February 6, 2016 10:01 pm

    Love this and I have some of these in my garden…Stella likes digging them up for some reason though! X

    • February 7, 2016 4:51 pm

      Maybe they smell of something very special? Otis isn’t a digger (now that I’ve said that, he will start making huge holes in the garden…), but he likes to escape into our neighbours garden, as there lives his best friend – a huge golden Labrador. xxx

Trackbacks

  1. Studio project 7 | Colour Cottage

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: